Sunday 13 October 2013

First Post

Well this is the first post for my blog.  I'm not really concerned about followers but I'd just like a place to "spill" to the cosmic void lol.  My favourite blog and you must check it out if you haven't already, is Sew Many Ways.  sewmanyways.blogspot.ca  Karen is awesome - she is a genius at blogging, quilting, organizing, you name it, and she has the most fabulous sewing room.  Speaking of sewing rooms, my oldest son moved out (very sad - miss my boy).  On the positive side, I finally got my sewing room.  Unfortunately, it also has to serve as a guest room. On the positive side again, I rarely have overnight guests.  I'm in the process of thinking of how I want to decorate it.  So far, I can't even decide on the colour!  It's also the coldest room in the house as it's over the garage.  And it has to be on the cheap, cheap, cheap.

 This is what this blog will be about.  How to do anything on the cheap.  I figure I'm pretty much an expert.  I have been on my own for over 10 years, raising two fine sons, own my own townhouse (well the bank and I do), and I've always struggled to keep my head above water.  And I do it!  The only real debt I have is my mortgage. Both  my kids have always understood that I'm not a bank so they've always worked for whatever they wanted.  As I told them early, we are not a "label" family.  My oldest son went through university (now he has a HUGE loan to pay off), and is working as a high school teacher.  I'm so proud of him!  My youngest son is still trying to decide what to do with his life - which is fine.  I just hope he decides before he retires ha ha.   I think they learned to appreciate what they have.

So right now I'm working on Christmas.  If you want to do anything cheaply, you need to plan ahead.  Last year, I took up knitting again.  Everyone got scarves and hats and mittens for Christmas.  My poor nephew got a hat that was way too big for his head.  But he's a wonderful kid and just told me it would fit when he hair grew out a bit.  Okay so that wasn't the best.  But THIS year, I've made all the girls on my list,  lapghans.   So far I've done three and guess what? - they will definitely fit.  I also got into knitting up mug warmers and tea cozys.  This was great for my sister who lives in Scotland.  We always have to think small and lightweight when sending to her. I guess we could just have something delivered but I like to do something especially for her.  I want her to know that I've been thinking of her and spent time creating something just for her.
So ..... If anyone out there has any other ideas about Christmas gifts on the cheap, Seamus and I would love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment